In Finland you can surely get very fresh (and cheap!) salmons. So here is one of the most common and traditional recipes in which this ingredient covers a main role. Of course, in this country salmon can be found anywhere but if you want to have it fresh, then you’ll direct yourself in market halls (Kauppahalli) or in fish markets.
Another important ingredient in this soup are spring onions: they give a fresh taste and beautiful color to the dish
For this soup we used Lapland potatoes, which have a protected origin certificate. The taste they have is intense because of the ground in which they grow: Lapland has a really rich soil. Also, these potatoes benefit from a 24 hours sun per day during summer that surely enhance their flavor. It’s not even necessary to peel them because of its tenderness. Another aspect of this special gems from the ground is that they are little bit faster to cook than “ordinary” potatoes.
One thing you can’t miss while enjoying your soup: rye bread with butter and milk! Your experience will not be the same if you’ll miss these two aspects!
Preparation time: 20 min Cooking time: 1 hour Total time: 1 hour and 20 min
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour and 20 min
Serves: 8 people
- 1 kg of salmon
- 5 parsnips
- 5 carrots
- 400 g of potatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 spring onions
- 200 g of cheese spread
- 100 ml of heavy cream
- 1 vegetable stock
- Olive Oil 1 tablespoon
- Peel the parsnips, the carrots and (if you want) the potatoes
- Put the parsnips and the carrots in a kettle and cover them with water
- Add a vegetable stock and start to boil the vegetables
- Meanwhile, clean and cut into medium pieces the onion
- Fry the onion with one tablespoon of oil
- Remove the skin from the salmon and cut it into medium pieces
- When the carrots and the parsnips will start (only start!) to get soft, add the potatoes in the kettle and water so that the vegetables continue to be covered by water
- When also the potatoes will start to get soft, add the salmon, the cheese spread, salt and pepper
- Chop the spring onions
- 10 minutes before serving, when the cheese spread is melted and everything is tender, lower the heat and add spring onions, dill and heavy cream
Hyvää ruokahalua! Bon apetit!
As a conclusion of this post, I want to introduce you my beloved husband Klaus, called (by me!) Klapsu!! ♥ He is the official taster of all the recipe you can find here on Two blades of grass and the, both moral and practical, helper of mine. So be thankful to him because this blog exists also because of him